Sunday, September 12, 2010

Four New Pieces for SOFA Chicago



The Courtship of Purcist & Osmia
Wood/metal/cloth/found objects
22" x 30" x 22"

When I was a kid, my father kept chickens in an old shed on the property. One of my jobs was to feed them and also get the eggs. Often when I was in the shed, the roosters would chase me into a corner and peck my bare feet. It hurt like hell! I'd finally get up enough courage to make a run for the door, often forgetting to both feed the chickens and get the eggs.

These two chickens, a rooster and hen, are in the middle of a courtship dance (at least in my mind.) He is standing proud, showing off his glorious tail feathers, while the hen struts in front of him, dazzling him with her colorful wings. Both try to impress the other.

Both birds are built from an assortment of branches, metal, bike tires and found objects.



Lateralis
Wood/metal/cloth/found objects
47" x 10" x 10"

Years ago one of the first birds that I made was a Great Blue Heron. I am revisiting this species with this latest creation. I find these striking birds to be both prehistoric and futuristic at the same time.

Lateralis has a body wrapped in a children's white bicycle tire, a neck plumage made from a black mountain bike tire and wing and tail feathers comprised of branches, metal rods, and left over tire elements. Hanging off of him are old hand tools like screw drivers and punches. The yellow feathers seen on his chest are made from old electrical wire.



Oliarus
Wood/metal/cloth/found objects
34" x 10" x 10"

The one creature that I keep coming back to over and over again is the rabbit. I still love finding new ideas, expressions and actions for them.(In New Mexico they get BIG and feel a bit menacing.)

This standing rabbit is a bit of a trickster. He is looking over his shoulder as he holds an old saw blade in his hands. Is he going to saw something down, throw the blade at somebody, or use it as a musical instrument(as is seen in southern jug bands.)?

He is made from old sticks, cloth, rusted and painted metal and found objects.



Pallida
Wood/metal/cloth/found objects
31" x 28" x 14"

I also love making dogs, and think about them as a universal breed. My dogs have combinations of just about everything from Chiwawas to Arctic Wolves. (My father loved animals, especially dogs. I was always around them and I can remember just about every one, from the noisy basset hound to the feisty Jack Russel and the assortment of playful yellow and black labs.)

I think of Pallida as a scout, ahead of the pack, checking out the territory. He is alert, but at the same time perky and playful. You can tell from the way his feet are positioned.

He is crafted from old sticks, cloth, rusted and painted metal and found objects.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Geoffrey, thank you for sharing your unique and authentic work with us! I really love, how you portray the very spirit of an animal in your sculpture! To me, they are roaming, and I am trying to catch up. I may never be able to actually posess one of them, but you give me a glimpse of them on your blog, like a chance encounter in nature. This is very beautyful!

    ReplyDelete